The Canada Summer Jobs Application Deadline is extended to February 3, 2019!
I am pleased to invite you to participate in the 2019 Canada Summer Jobs program. Last year, several new Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam businesses and not-for profits leveraged the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program to create 152 local student summer jobs. I’m excited to share several new initiatives this year:
- Fewer barriers to good quality jobs: expanded eligibility to include all youth between the ages of 15-30 who are legally entitled to work in Canada – not just students.
- Updated eligibility criteria: eligibility criteria have been changed to set out what is and isn’t eligible for funding
- Better job matching: All positions will be posted on jobbank.gc.ca and on the app, to get the word out and help match young people with employers and good quality jobs.
- Updated application process: Employers can now open an account on the Government Grants and Contributions Online Service portal, allowing them to take their time with the application, track it once it has been submitted and get quicker feedback from Service Canada.
Canada’s prosperity increasingly depends on young Canadians getting the education and experience they’ll need to start their careers. Summer jobs are key to helping young Canadians gain skills and valuable work experience needed to join the labour market.
That’s where Canada Summer Jobs comes in, Not-for-profit employers and religious organizations can receive 100 percent of the provincial or territorial minimum hourly wage. Public-sector employers and private sector employers with 50 or fewer full-time employees across Canada can receive 50 percent of the provincial or territorial minimum hourly wage.
CSJ targets local priorities and achieves tangible results for both students and our communities.The sectors that I am again focussing on this year are:
- Private sector smaller businesses with fewer than 50 employees
- Indigenous entrepreneurs and/or businesses
- Organizations that provide programs and services to assist refugees
- Organizations that provide programs and services to Seniors, Children Youth and Youth at risk
- Organizations that provide programs and services people with substance abuse and/or mental illness
- Organizations that offer community services
The application period is extended to February 3, 2019
If you have any questions, please call my office at 604-927-1080.